Melissa Davies, graduate of the London School of Economics is an international consultant with broad experience in management (strategic and operational), particularly within the fields of organisational development, partnership brokering and fundraising, IT and project management.
Melissa is an independent professional negotiator with over 20 years experience of both negotiating agreements and training negotiation skills and conflict management (see www.negoservices.com for references). Customers include academia, scientific research institutes, the private sector (industry) and non-profit organisations.
"Solution focused" coach, Melissa has a great motivation to accompany people and organisations in their professional and personal development.
Career transitions are full of challenges, and to be successful, require specific sets of skills.
Negotiation skills play an important role in any career transition process. Whether you wish to stay in academia or whether you are aiming for a career outside academia (industry, freelance, NGOs…) negotiation skills will help you achieve your goals.
This one-day, highly interactive workshop provides an introduction to negotiation, together with its specific mind-set. The negotiation process is broken down into specific manageable units, each being a separate technical module with its own tools and techniques.
This workshop will focus on the importance of preparation, which in turn leads to a higher level of confidence. The tools are practical and can be used both in personal and professional situations, although throughout the day a special emphasis on employment negotiations will be made.
At the end of the seminar, the participants will:
• Recognize the characteristics and consequences of various styles of interactions;
• Understand how to build relationships based on interest and opportunity;
• Get an overview of the entire negotiation process;
• Master the preparation step, both of the overall context as well as the detailed goal;
• Test a tool that will enable a stronger and more confident approach to meeting the other party;
• Work on specific case studies linked with career transitions.